https://www.annapinnock.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/buckwheat-granola-e1504282442931.jpg 332 500 apinnock https://www.annapinnock.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/logo_Anna-Pinnock-t2.png apinnock2017-09-01 11:26:402020-06-10 14:46:08Buckwheat granola (gluten-free)
I find the shop-bought granolas too sweet. And they mainly contain plenty of oats, which is not ideal for those on gluten-free diets (unless you buy certified gluten-free ones) or on a paleo-style diet. This granola is gluten-free and grain-free. Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain, so strictly speaking not paleo so you can remove it if you wish and add more nuts. Instead of walnuts, you can add any nut you like, or add sesame seeds or chia seeds for extra crunchiness. I don't normally measure the ingredients, I just chuck them in in more or less the right quantities. It does mean the end product is never the same, but I like it this way. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients and proportions, the below measurements are purely for guidance.
- 150 grams sunflower seeds soaked
- 100 grams pumpkin seeds soaked
- 100 grams walnuts soaked
- 250 grams buckwheat groats soaked
- 60 grams coconut chips
- 1-2 Tbsp honey or maple syroup
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds optional
- Soak the seeds and nuts overnight, then rinse and transfer to a big bowl.
- In a separate bowl soak buckwheat overnight. Rinse soaked buckwheat and add to the bowl, together with the coconut flakes, cinnamon, melted honey and coconut oil.
- Mix everything well with a wooden spoon.
- Spread evenly on 2 baking trays (I use silicon mats as they are non-sticky) and roast in the oven at 110 C for about 1 hour, or until the granola is crunchy and golden in colour.
- Open the oven door for a couple of times during roasting to release the steam.
- Enjoy with natural home-made yogurt and fruit of choice (my recent favourite are figs). I also like to sprinkle some ground flaxseed and hulled hemp seeds onto the yogurt before adding the granola.
- This recipe will give you 6 to 8 portions and it will keep in a jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Let us know what you think!